Monday, September 28, 2009

sugar pie kind of life...

I've been on a blog-reading kick lately, and my new fave is http://www.sugarpiefarmhouse.com/! Check it out, it is delish. It is this darling woman, who feels called to make her home and her family her main priority. She gets up every morning and gets dressed nicely and comfortably, puts on full make-up, ties on an apron, and spends her time cooking and decorating and generally caring for her home.


I know that there are some who probably find that ridiculous. But, I find it refreshing, and charming, and inspiring. I love to decorate, and I would love to make my home feel welcoming and warm. I just fell in love with the idea of creating a sanctuary for my family - for my husband and my kids to want to be here above anywhere else, to leave them with memories of a happy, warm, comforting home.


As my life is now, my kids are going to remember that Mom showered and got dressed at 4pm, when it was time to go to work. That the house was raggedy looking, unless company was coming. That laundry was wrinkled or dirty, and a hunt was necessary to find school clothes every morning. That we ate at the coffee table in the living room, and most often it was convenience food made with as little effort as possible.


Is this the legacy that I want to give to my children, or my husband?


Certainly not. And I have to admit that I just didn't think about it much before. I get by each day, mere survival my main goal. To have the day be not horrible on the whole was good enough for me. But that is not the life that I deserve, nor is it the life that I want to provide for my family. I want a life that demands a pleasant, joyous day. I want a home that fills my family with warm fuzzy feelings. Not Stepford-perfect, but the best that I can do, with all of my ability and creativity in use.


That is sort of my intention with this blog. To encourage myself and others in creating a life that is full of our best, that is not just settling for what can get us by.
--------------------------
more gratitude...

#11... for the smell of apple cider and cinnamon and ginger simmering on my stovetop

#12... for fresh, clean towels to wrap up in after a long, hot shower

#13... for fall leaves in every shade imaginable

#14... for Mountain Dew to start the day

#15... for discovering new blogs to dig into and roll around in

#16... for new ideas or concepts sinking into my brain and my heart and my spirit

#17... for thrift shopping for hours, alone, and uncovering treasures that make me giddy

#18... for the pure beauty of a pinecone

#19... for lego creations straight of an active little brain

#20... for random, unprovoked "i love you" from the mouths of honest little souls


If you've found me today, will you leave me a comment? Just say hello, share something if you wish.... I'd love to know that someone has seen me.

No comments: